We are a family of 4, Roddy, Setha, River Rose (our 4-year-old daughter) and Suchitra (Setha’s mother, who visits yearly), living on our rural farmlet in Tutira, Hawke’s Bay, a 45 min drive to downtown Napier. For the last eight years we have been running our small family business selling heritage seeds called Setha’s Seeds. We are committed to an organic land-based lifestyle focused on healthy soil, healthy food, healthy people principles. We work with nature as a partner in all we do on the farm. We honour the natural cycles of the seasons celebrating with friends at equinoxes and solstices. We are currently developing our 22 acres into a regenerative landscape by implementing food forests, native tree plantings and holistic grazing management practices for our Irish Dexter cows. We have several new projects we would like to get underway in the upcoming years to more fully develop our education arm of our business and bring more people to our farm to learn about sustainable and regenerative living models. We also love music and bought this farm from friends who had already started hosting music festivals on site. We have continued to develop our events space and look forward to growing this artistic cultural passion as well.
We are currently seeking help and community here on the land. We see several opportunities available and welcome being contacted by all interested parties.
We would love to offer a part time job to someone with a family or on their own that is seeking to live rurally on an organic/regenerative farmlet in Tutira, Hawke’s Bay. Of course, we are happy to consider applicants wanting to live off site and working here with us, but due to our distance from a city centre we know it may be more practical to have accommodation available, see below for more details.
~ Part time employment in our heritage seed gardens at $20/hour for 15 hours/week. This has the potential to increase over time for both hours and wage.
~ Experience – ideally but not mandatory some experience in organic gardening, permaculture etc. No specific seed growing experience necessary, but of course welcome 😊 All applicants, please email through resume with your expression of interest for this job.
Tasks and skills include:
- Seed Propagation/Nursery Skills
- Garden Bed Prep
- Irrigation and water management for healthy plants.
- Fertilising the garden with a focus on growing nutrient dense plants, food and seeds.
- Garden Maintenance – weeding, mulching, foliar feeding, compost making.
- Seed harvesting for both wet and dry seed
- Wet seed processing and drying
- Dry seed drying and processing
- Storing seed techniques and methods
- Seed selection and rogueing
Lifestyle Opportunity with income streams available:
Lots of opportunity for collaboration on the land with several business options we are developing. Please contact us if you are interested in one or several of the following:
- Helping to develop a coffee cart / store front on the property where our wares can be sold along with organic coffee and organic home baking.
- Music lovers who like the idea of hosting folk festivals on the farm.
- Help put ideas into action and see a food forest and regenerative landscape develop with tree plantings and holistic grazing of Irish Dexter cattle.
- There is space to develop market gardening on site for income generation. We have lots of local connections for potential outlets for the crops.
- Help with workshops, eco farm-stays, and camps for kids with a focus on sharing the knowledge we have for producing healthy food and seeds.
- Creative development, through film and documenting our process and educational components.
If you are keen to apply for the job in our seed gardens or live on our farm and help develop and run some of the other new projects or both! We have available a private, 3-bedroom family home, in a sleep out or a site to situate your tiny home with power and water access. There are two primary schools within 5-10 min drive from gate. Buses for primary schools collect from across the road. We have a 4.5-year-old daughter who would love some neighbours with kids to play with. The accommodation can be leased or work exchange to offset rent cost. We see the rent values at approximately $300/week for the house and $100/week for the sleep-out. A site with power and water access for a tiny house would be approx. $50/week. All utilities would be on top of this, to be determined in consultation with tenants.
These opportunities are available to families as well as individuals, please get in touch if you are interested to discuss further. We look forward to hearing from you! Email all enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or ph 0212388543.